About Me

My photo
Currently growing one head, two hands, and two feet inside me, I am a Mummy In Progress. I am a registered nurse and run my own (very un-busy) business providing health education and consultancy at a community and corporate level. This blog aims to chronicle the trials and triumphs of my journey as a MIP, and help me connect with other MIP's and mothers out there!

Our Monster is coming...

Tuesday 27 December 2011

It's official...

So Christmas Day was the big day for making the big announcement about our monster.

We finally managed to get a hold of The Man's four existing monsters, who live overseas, to let them know, and then it ws open slather to break the news to the rest of the family, with mixed responses.

My mum seemed really excited. My dad sounded a bit confused and I think for a moment thought we were buying him a dog or something before the penny dropped and he realised what I was saying. The Man's parents were stoked. And my 95 year old grandmother told me not to get too fat.
Other significant people in our lives were also thrilled, which was great.

The general consensus seemed to be "Well done". I still can't quite work out what they mean by that... Are they congratulating us on knowing how to have sex? Or on getting it "right"? It kinda sounds like they think we put an wful lot of hard work and study into having a baby, as if we had passed an exam or something. I find it rather hilarious.

Unfortunately, yesterday, my mum rang and took the whole shine off the 'we're having a baby" thing by letting rip with both barrels about how selfish we were for waiting until 16 weeks to tell her, and how The Man was taking me away from the family to give birth in Melbourne (despite the fact that she lives in New Zealand and the only family I have left in Sydney is my father, and his wife, The SheDevil, who are rather useless in terms of support).

It's all a bit much for me to process at the moment and has left me feeling rather resentful that with any big annoucement in my life she seems to counteract with some kind of drama about how I'm letting her down.

But hey, it'll all come out in the wash. And hopefully she'll rein everything in in order to be involved with her first grandchild!

Hope you all had a very merry Christmas, and are looking forward to an exciting New Years celebration this coming weekend!

2 comments:

  1. Congratulations Yael! My goodness how things change over time huh?? So where are you based these days? Melbourne?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Just wondering...do you have a facebook?

    ReplyDelete

Tell me what you really think!